Saturday, 7 March 2009

13. Unlucky for some.

So firstly, I just wanted to talk about the next few Screaming Ground gigs.
On friday the 13th of March, Screaming Ground will be hosting an event at The Marquee in Norwich, featuring such awesomeness as BAMBI GET OVER IT, PORTMAN, FEVER FEVER and FULLWATER. £3 to get in. 8pm start.
Poster!


Should be pretty great :)

After that, Im once again teaming up with Woody of Safetydance to host an amazing show at The Queen Charlotte. It will feature Jeniferever, Codes In The Clouds, Caesura and Maths. Poster pending :P

Then in may a gig that I am very excited about... Screaming ground will play host to MAYBESHEWILL, BK and Dad, Arcadia Lake and Ndx at the marquee on May 22nd. Also poster pending. That should be astounding though. Really looking forward to it.


... deep breath....

Recently, I read a little piece about a new 'label' in Norwich called Milkbar.
You can read it HERE

Basically it was sucking them off saying about how 'new, exciting and revolutionary' they are. Pfft. Tbh, they are about as new, exciting and revolutionary as my little finger. They are keen to stress they like certain norwich bands, who may be popular but are basically dull or awful or both. It's hugely saddening to see people respond to such things in such a arse kissing way. Really, its just setting Norwich back rather than pushing it forward, like they like to think it is. Twee indie is not something to be proud of really, is it. Everything has its place, for sure, but really pushing these bands is not something that is good.
Im not going to link their myspace or anything, If you want to find it google milkbar records norwich. If anyone has something saying "Milkbar Encourages Vintage Knitwear" anywhere on their website, 'ironically' or not.... Jesus christ.
..

Norwich generally has never really been on the musical radar. I believe this is due in part to the geographical location and also it just never had the bands. This has changed loads though and Norwich really does have the bands that deserve a push. Good, original, talented bands who deserve to gain something from their efforts. NOT shabby indie outfits who generally care more about how they look and who they know rather than anything else. If Norwich does one day become a hub of musical activity within the media and things, I would hope it would be because of original, hard working, amazing bands, rather than the collective back scratching of indie hipsters like it seems to be heading towards.
Any publicity for the cities music is good I suppose. I just wish it was bands that properly deserved it rather than peoples friends bands because they are 17, wear skinny jeans and havent heard of Overdrive or Distortion.
I dont want to name names because I find it vulgar, but one band in particular is The Kabeedies. Seriously. What the actual fuck is so special about them? Fair enough, they play competent indie rock and more for them. But as far as I can see it, they are only getting pushed so hard by everyone because they are young, in with the cool crowd, wear the right clothes and have a pretty girl fronting them.
Im not knocking them, because they do work hard and tour lots and things, But I cant help but think of the reasons why they have been picked up and pushed so hard compared to a lot of, in my honest opinion, better bands.

What Norwich needs, instead of the same old labels signing the same old bands and claiming to be the saviours of rock and roll, are quality labels of worth, signing good quality bands. Labels like Big Scary Monsters, Holy Roar, Mentronome, Erased Tapes, Captains of Industry (rip), Deep Elm, Constallation, sub pop etc etc etc. These labels are all highly respected and have put out many brilliant bands work over the years.

So why is Norwich stuck with rubbish? There certainly are the bands here who could fit an any number of those labels effortlessly (That does include The Kabeedies) so why is there not one signing them? Why does all manner of rubbish slip through the net and get the attention of label people while the good bands get left behind?



With that, I would just like to champion a few people who, I believe, certainly work to give norwich an amazing alternative scene rather than hinder it and hold it back:
In no particular order..

Woody at Safetydance.
Sunny and Dan at In An Emergency Dial.
Annie and the team at WombatWombat.
All at BBC Norfolk Introducing.
Amy at Soapbox
Paul at the Marquee.
Mike Darkside
Ian at PowerUp.
Em at B2.
Kev/Karen at the QC.
All of the small promoters who have these same ideals.

The rest of you.. For shame. Join in or get out.

(all that said, at least the people who arent working on the good cause are doing something, which is better than nothing I suppose.)
x

No comments: